Babut Law Offices, PLLC
Speak Directly With An Attorney 
Free Consultation 734-485-7000

Assess elderly parents' needs before planning a move

It's the thing adult children of elderly parents often dread the most - moving their mother and/or father into a more suitable living situation. While this is rarely an easy task, it can be simplified by laying the proper groundwork ahead of time.

Whenever you are planning major changes for older relatives, communication is key to success. Many senior citizens are very fixed in their routines of decades past, so you might find it easier to initiate conversations about their preferences prior to actual need. Then, you can return to the more difficult topics periodically to allow them to adjust to the ideas you propose. Below are some other suggestions for transitioning your parents to another living situation.

Involve your parents' doctors

Ideally, they can get referred to a gerontologist, a physician who specializes in age-related dimensions of change over a lifespan. A gerontologist is best-equipped to assess elderly parents' physical and cognitive needs.

If, however, your parents would be most comfortable seeing their regular internal medicine or family physician for these purposes, that's fine. Just make sure that you explain what you are attempting to ascertain, i.e., determining the level of care and supervision that your parents need now and in the immediate future.

Red flags to watch out for in the elderly

It can be difficult initially to recognize some of the subtler signs of cognitive and physical decline. Often, adult children don't sense a problem until one or more of the following occur:

  • Parents' personal hygiene deteriorates. As people age, changes in their physical conditions and the onset of dementia can make it difficult to get in and out of the bathtub or even fear bathing and washing the hair. If formerly-fastidious parents now appear unkempt or unclean, it's often an indication that they need assistance to accomplish basic hygiene tasks.
  • Bills go unpaid. While it's possible that a lack of resources could also be the culprit, if the senior citizens' resources and expenses remain static, their failing memories may be what led to the water or electricity getting shut off.
  • They have safety lapses. Perhaps you notice that your mom now forgets to turn off the stove or that your father frequently forgets to lock the doors and windows. When your parents' safety is jeopardized, you may have to act swiftly to avoid harm coming to them.
  • They can no longer manage beloved pets' care. Whether it's the stench of an unemptied litter box or empty and dry food and water bowls, this is a major red flag that your parents can no longer handle things on their own.

Once you notice that your parents' abilities to care for themselves have declined, it's time to make some hard decisions. Seeking legal advice and obtaining a power of attorney and medical proxy may be the next steps you need to take.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

contact information

Ypsilanti / Ann Arbor
700 Towner Street
Ypsilanti, MI 48198

Phone: 734-485-7000
Fax: 734-485-6251
Ypsilanti Law Office

761 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Phone: 734-485-7000
Phone: 517-768-0187
Fax: 734-485-6251
Jackson Law Office

217 E Front Street
Adrian, MI 49221

Phone: 734-485-7000
Phone: 517-266-9332
Fax: 734-485-6251
Adrian Law Office

Down River / Detroit Area
20619 Ecorse Road
Taylor, MI 48180

Phone: 734-485-7000
Phone: 313-292-3700
Fax: 734-485-6251
Taylor Law Office

map image